Millions of men and women suffer from hair loss each year. While there is no proven scientific way to stimulate hair growth, there are things you can do to prevent hair loss and to restore it. Here are 5 ways toward a healthier head of hair.
- Get some ZZZs. Sleep plays an important role in rejuvenation. Sleep disorders like insomnia and narcolepsy can affect hair health and cause baldness over time. For adults, the National Sleep Foundation recommends between seven to nine hours of sleep each night.
- Keep Stress At Bay. Stress can affect your overall health and quality of life. Several studies have shown that stress can trigger everything from headaches and hair loss to more serious medical conditions like a heart attack. Reduce stress levels with physical activity and relaxation techniques such as meditation and yoga.
- Eat A Healthy Diet. If you don’t get enough protein in your diet, your body may ration protein by shutting down hair growth, according to the American Academy of Dermatology. Also, limit junk food, which could lead to nutritional deficiencies and can contribute to hair thinning and balding.
- Watch Your Iron Levels. Hair loss is one of the most prominent symptoms of Anemia, or iron deficiency, in the body. The blood lacks sufficient red blood cells to transport oxygen to cells throughout the body, including hair follicles, and hair becomes deprived of essential nutrients required for strength and growth. If you’re anemic, eat and drink foods that help your body absorb iron, like orange juice and berries. Your doctor may also prescribe a daily iron supplement.
- Consider Hair Replacement Therapy. When hair thinning and balding is significant, it can take a mental and emotional toll. Paul Savage, M.D., lead physician at Agenixs, an anti-aging medical clinic in Chicago, said hair loss doesn’t have to be permanent. There are hair replacement options that are non-invasive like NeoGraft, a technique Dr. Savage uses on his patients to restore hair loss. With NeoGraft’s Follicular Unit Extraction method, hair at the back of a patient’s head is carefully removed, and the collected follicles are then implanted into the spaces where hair growth is sought. Patients typically return to work the next day and there is no scarring. To learn more about Agenixs and NeoGraft, go to agenixs.com or call 312.981.4020.